Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Deck, Milsons Point

1 Olympic Drive
Mediterranean cuisine
Book online or call 02 9033 7670

Just a few steps away from the Harbour Bridge, The Deck is located on the waterfront and quite fittingly serves modern mediterranean cuisine. With its trendy interior, minimalist and chic booths and ambient lighting, this place is great for an elegant and understated dining experience. I would suggest going on a weeknight to make the most of the atmosphere. The menu is inventive and exciting, playing with the flavours of unusual and fresh foods. If you are sick of paying $20 for bland and predictable dishes, The Deck is two steps up.


Mussels cooked with white wine, cream and fresh herbs, served with crusty baguette, $14


Warm Barbary duck breast salad, walnuts, pomegranate, sour plum chutney and radicchio, (main) $27.50

I've got to say this was a very fun dinner. I like to think I'm a seafood connoisseur but I have never had mussels as silky and tender as these. I was really excited about the bold choice of flavours in the duck salad. The walnuts and sour plum with the duck didn't really do it for me, but the fresh pomegranate and duck was a genius combination. I've decided I'm going to have the parmesan gnocchi with roast pumpkin, rocket, toasted pine nuts and parmesan cream (Bracken, 'picked it!') when I take Dan here next time.

PS: Just up the road and through the tunnel on Broughton St is a lovely cafe called The Mad Italian where they do a mean pistachio gelato.

No comments:

Post a Comment